me? well...

Every year since I was born, I've gained 10 pounds. At 19, I reached my highest weight ever- 206.4. I developed PCOS and am struggling and determined to get myself back into shape. This is my daily food log. I'm hoping whoever reads it can learn from it, and teach me something in return. We all need friends and motivation at some point.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Ultimate Goal is Zooey Deschanel!


So... outside of my "daily log", I wanted to write about something that has come up in my weightloss journey.

I would think that most, if not all of us, have an "ideal weight". It's not just a "goal weight" but more of a specific body weight you have that if you had the power to magically become ANY size at all, you would pick this particular one. Mine?
Zooey Deschanel.
She is thin, but not a rail. She looks delicate, but not fragile. She still looks feminine, and I think she is very proportionate. But she is SKINNY.
She is also taller than me. I am 5'4, she is 5'6.
So, to make this accurate, I decided to go by BMI.
Her weight was hard to find, and I mean how accurate could it be? But every answered I came upon said pretty much the same thing. The most popular answer is "around 114-132 pounds. There was one specific answer, and it said 121 pounds. I think i'm going to go with that, because it's right in the middle of the first answer, and it sounds about right.

So Zooey is 5'6 and 121 pounds, so her BMI is 19.5, putting her on the low range of a normal weight.
My weight is 5'4 and 201 pounds, so my BMI is 34.5 (obese... writing that makes me cringe)
At a height of 5'4, a BMI of 19.5 is a weight of 114.5 pounds.
So, 201-114.5 means I have 86.5 pounds left to lose.

This is not a goal that I expect to reach anytime soon. I would like to reach it within the next year or so, but I expect when I hit a weight where I am thin and comfortable, weight will be coming off slower and that will be okay with me. But one day, it would be nice to weigh as much as Zooey Deschanel.

3 comments:

  1. hi, just wanted to say, neither other people's weights NOR their bmi's are good indexes to follow because it depends on your frame. to get what i mean, there's a bmi album on flickr that shows the HUGE range of appearances for ppl with the same bmi. somebody with a bmi of 23 may look fat while another person with a bmi of 23 may look thin-- you should check it out. i'm too lazy to get the url, but it's easily searchable.
    My point is, you might look grossly skeleton at Zooey's bmi or you might look chubby at her bmi; since you're not actually her, you can't use her stats as a goal.

    So here's what I recommend: take photos of yourself as you lose weight. for me, looking at a photo from when I weighed 120, I looked good, so that's the weight I lost weight down to. the mirror's no good, but if you look at photos, you'll clearly see what weight suits you, so you won't lose too much and look gross or not lose enough.
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I wouldn't be suprised if she 's somewhere between 121 and 132 because I have exactly the same measurements as she supposedly does and at 54/55kgs (121lb) I'm so skinny my Mum gets seriously worried - it's only happened once after being ill while travelling Brazil in mega heat and humidity. I'm usually 136lb with those measurements while healthy and fit so remember to allow for what you look good at. Finding the weight that suits your natural musculature and face is more important and as muscle and fat weigh different amounts weight ceases to matter as much and you really just go on how your clothes fit and how you feel.

    It's harder work at first too loosing weight as the extra weight actually works against the exercise you do (ie it's harder to change your metabolism). At a certain point, ~141kgs, the fat cells in the body have such control over the situation that it's pretty much impossible for a person to loose weight without help. So congratulate yourself for looking after yourself and focus most on being healthy. My sister's got PCOS too and it doesn't help make it easy but the slower it comes off and stays off the more stable the progress you make will be - and the better you'll look while you do it.

    Good luck and stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you wrote this 4 years ago and i wanna know if u finally get your goal weight. :)

    ReplyDelete